Re: netscape should be under non-free

On Wed, 12 Jun 1996, Brian C. White wrote:

>[...]                                        The netscape "package"
>includes _nothing_ that is non-free.  Everything in it is, in fact,
>in the public domain.
>
>Moving it to non-free would mean it did not get distributed on some
>or all of the CD-ROM distributions and I see no reason to limit it in
>this way.  I would be willing to move it to "contrib", but I still prefer
>it where it is.

I'd like to see the restriction keeping freely distributable (and
trusted, of course) binary-only packages out of the main distribution
lifted entirely.

I understand and appreciate that we very much prefer freely distributable
source.  However, I see that as an advocacy issue which should be
separated from the practical goal of offering the best and most useful
linux distribution we can to Debian users.