Re: request for advice on proposed JDK (Java Development Kit) package

   Date: Wed, 12 Jun 1996 18:44:42 +0100 (BST)
   From: Stephen Early <sde1000@chiark.chu.cam.ac.uk>
   cc: maor@ece.utexas.edu, debian-devel@lists.debian.org

   On Wed, 12 Jun 1996, Mike Coleman wrote:
   > >  Why can we not put it in non-free?
   >
   > It can't be made freely available on cdrom.  I don't think cdrom vendors are
   > going to want to deal with "you can press our stuff, but leave out these
   > files".

   ...but that is exactly what the non-free directory is for.

This seems to be the consensus.

It does seem like it would be good to distinguish between software cdrom
vendors are allowed (or encouraged) to copy, versus software they are
forbidden to copy.

(This is relevant to the netscape-installer issue, too.  Although netscape is
not free, it would be a shame to leave the installer off of cdroms.)

Maybe we need two separate directories here.

--Mike