Re: request for advice on proposed JDK (Java Development Kit) package

   Date: Wed, 12 Jun 1996 11:43:11 -0500 (CDT)
   From: Guy Maor <maor@ece.utexas.edu>
   cc: debian-devel@lists.debian.org

   On Wed, 12 Jun 1996, Mike Coleman wrote:

   > In the process of working on a Debian package of Sun's JDK, as ported to
   > Linux, I've discovered that while ports of the JDK can be made available via
   > ftp, Sun now prohibits ports from being put on CDROM without a license.

   Why can we not put it in non-free?

It can't be made freely available on cdrom.  I don't think cdrom vendors are
going to want to deal with "you can press our stuff, but leave out these
files".

One possible alternative would be to have a directory (or even a different
site) where ftp-only stuff could be stored.  This would only be worth it,
though, if there were a number of packages with this restriction.  (I think
this is the only one I've ever seen.)

--Mike