Re: new syslogd

On Fri, 7 Jun 1996, Martin Schulze wrote:

> You write:
>
> }When I installed the new 1.3-6 syslogd I got the following during
>                                    ^

Yeah, this is still very confusing...

After the above installation I did:

dpkg -s syslogd

and got:

Package: syslogd
Essential: yes
 This package implements two system log daemons. The syslogd daemon is
 an enhanced version of the standard Berkeley utility program. This
 daemon is responsible for providing logging of messages received from
 programs and facilities on the local host as well as from remote
 hosts.
 .
 The klogd daemon listens to kernel message sources and is responsible
 for prioritizing and processing operating system messages. The klogd
 daemon can run as a client of syslogd or optionally as a standalone
 program. Klogd can now be used to decode EIP addresses if it can
 determine a System.map file.

and when I do:

dpkg -s sysklogd

I get:

Package: sysklogd
Essential: yes
Section: base
Maintainer: Martin Schulze <joey@linux.de>
Version: 1.3-6
Replaces: syslogd
Provides: syslogd
Pre-Depends: libc5 (>=5.2.18-1)
Conflicts: syslogd
Conffiles:
 /etc/syslog.conf 1158ff9e7d55009929f1b4f1673d0348
 /etc/init.d/sysklogd f03ee6e2e4261b2c43f3a9b60aeb1d50
 /etc/cron.weekly/sysklogd 6492db834c0c9b29c38b81dbbf803c77
 This package implements two system log daemons. The syslogd daemon is
 an enhanced version of the standard Berkeley utility program. This
 daemon is responsible for providing logging of messages received from
 programs and facilities on the local host as well as from remote
 hosts.
 .
 The klogd daemon listens to kernel message sources and is responsible
 for prioritizing and processing operating system messages. The klogd
 daemon can run as a client of syslogd or optionally as a standalone
 program. Klogd can now be used to decode EIP addresses if it can
 determine a System.map file.

It seems, from the above, that dpkg thinks that the conf-files for syslogd
are still installed?

BTW, this new version does log to the correct files, so we are making
headway :-)

TIA,

Dwarf