Alpha PC accounts

Dear all,

The local computer science department here has been donated an Alpha by
Digital, which is run by Stephen Tweedie.  He has made the very kind
offer to the Debian developers of accounts on this machine for porting
packages.

There are a couple conditions which need to be overcome before accounts
can be issued, though (aren't there always?)...

 o The University here needs a signed piece of paper stating that you've
   read and understood the University Computing Regulations
   (http://www.ed.ac.uk/edinfo/MAIN/REGS/COMPUTING.html).  I understand
   a FAX to this effect is sufficient.

 o A brief statement of intended use, presumably to help keep track on
   what the machine is being used for.  Helps justify its continued
   support, I imagine.

The machine is essentially a Red Hat 2.1 Alpha (upgraded in situ) box,
so we won't be able to test the whole distribution or boot scripts and
the like.  But at least we can compile and build packages and get things
rolling on the Alpha distribution.

Of course, this shouldn't distract from the forthcoming 1.1 i386
release, but it may be just what some people are looking for once things
calm down afterwards!

If anyone wants such an account, please drop me or Stephen a line.

Keep up the great work!

Kenny.

|         <K.MacDonald@ed.ac.uk> "http://www.glg.ed.ac.uk/~kenny";      |
| Portuguese/English/French Translations/Teaching by Native Portuguese |
|              <TLS@nsl.co.uk> "http://www.nsl.co.uk/tls";              |