Re: Binary-only packages

In article <[🔎] m0uQKCu-0005zFC@mongo.pixar.com> bruce@pixar.com (Bruce Perens) writes:

> I would put the binary-only packages in "contrib". We can't give the user
> any means to assure that binary-only packages are free of trojan-horses,
> etc., so I don't think they should be given the same status as the usual
> Debian software.

Even though we cannot guarantee the absence of trojan-horses anyway
this is a good point.

However when this contrib rule superseedes the non-free rule,
programmes that aren't freely redistributable may appear in contrib
because they are binary-only. This should be mentioned in the
guidelines, and causes more work for CD-sellers.

	Sven
--
Sven Rudolph <sr1@inf.tu-dresden.de> ; WWW : http://www.sax.de/~sr1/