Re: UID allocation policy [Re: automatic adduser/addgroup ...]

IJ> The static ones would be allocated centrally from the range 0-99, or
IJ> 65000-65533 if many are required by one package or for obscure
IJ> packages or if we start to run out.

IJ> The dynamic ones would be allocated by adduser from whatever range was
IJ> specified in adduser.conf.  This would default to 100-999.

Thanks Ian, you've removed the reservations I had so far about the
debian scheme. Can the current adduser script handle this or does it
have to extended?

It would be nice if the default range for dynamically allocated system
accounts can be selected during the installation. After all, the base
system requires you to create a user account before it drops you into
dselect. Maybe there could be two defaults to choose from:
	The `debian' scheme (your proposal) and the `legacy' or
`cluster' scheme, which moves the dynamical range to 64000-64999.
Imagine if you install your first debian system - only to realise that
you can't integrate it into your UN*X cluster because some packages
decided to use your bosses uid.

At least, the person installing the system has to be aware that after
installing the base system, before installing the rest of debian,
there is a decision to be made which potentially affects the
interoperability with other systems.

It is probably sufficient if this point is mentioned in the
installation documentation. I would guess that most people don't care
about the default. And most installations - standalone or debian-only -
can live equally well with either choice. Somebody who runs a cluster
should have enough experience to use the second console to enter as
root and fix adduser.conf (preferably by commenting and uncommenting
the right set of lines).

			Cheers,
				Lukas
   Dr. Lukas Nellen                 | Email: lukas@teorica0.ifisicacu.unam.mx
   Depto. de Fisica Teorica, IFUNAM |
   Apdo. Postal 20-364              | Tel.:  +52 5 622 5014 ext. 218
   01000 Mexico D.F., MEXICO        | Fax:   +52 5 622 5015