Re: Experience with 5/21 boot/root/base disks

Steve Greenland wrote:

> Yesterday I did a fresh install of Debian on a new disk,
> using the 5/21 disks. The experience was generally good.
> [snip]
> [Re: module configuration via installation menu]
> The real problem is that when I try to install a module,
> I get error an error message about missing symbol information or
> version problems (and I forgot to write the exact message down,
> I'll run through it again later and post it).

"No dependency information for module /lib/modules/current/fs/isofs.o"

where fs/isofs.o is replaced with whatever module I was trying: I got
the same message for each I tried. After rebooting from the custom
boot floppy, I was able to do insmod with no problems.

> 5. Ok, so no editor until I install vi. I mount the my 0.93 partition
> (where the .deb files are) under /mnt by hand. I cd to /mnt, and try
>
> tar cvf /debian.tar ./debian
>
> and it cranks away for a while, and then I get the message
>
> ll_rw_block: device 08:01: only 512-char blocks implemented (4096)

Couldn't reproduce this one. Today I was able to tar/untar to my
hearts content.

Steve Greenland

--
The Mole - I think, therefore I scream

			       "Bob also asks if Bill Ward ever did any 3-D
				comics.	 Of course, ALL Bill Ward's comics are
				3-D comics."
[Fandom Confidential]