Question about sysklogd

Hi folks,

Do we really need /dev/xconsole? This entry in the syslog.conf seems
to be cause of some trouble.

ne1 told me that if you start X11 an "xconsole -f /dev/xconsole" is
started. Is this correct? (a) Do we need it (b). Sorry, I couldn't
verify this because I don't run X11 on my Debian machine.

As this is cause of some trouble I would like to comment out the
relevant field in the syslog.conf file.

Apart from the trouble you have with this entry I never had these
problems. I could log in as root, as user, perform a su and the
like. I don't have any problems with it, so I hardly can investigate
(and probably fix) them.

I have problems on my server that I can't login at the console for
about 1 minute after the machine has rebootet - and should have
started the getty's. But this is due to the fact that the machine has
a system load from ~5.xx when all daemons are started and getty's are
in the process of being started. On this machine this has nothing to
do with tye syslogd.

Thanks,

	Joey

 /                                     http://home.pages.de/~joey/
/ Unix is user friendly ...  It's just picky about it's friends /