Re: dselect bugs several versions

Maarten Boekhold writes ("dselect bugs several versions"):
> Tonight I wanted to see how the ftp-method worked, so I got that, together
> with dpkg-1.2.1elf.i386.deb (out of Incoming). Got the ftp-method to work
> with dselect (though it did give a warning somewhere about use of an
> uninitialized value, thought only in combination with dpkg-1.2.1elf and
> maybe also dpkg-1.2.0elf, but I don't have either of them anymore, so I
> can't tell you precisely where it was). Then did 'Update', and next
> 'Select'. That's where dpkg-1.2.1elf gave me a segmentation-fault.

Please gzip and uuencode the coredump and mail it to me.  (Don't use
Pine's attach file feature.)  If it's over 5Mb compressed then ask and
we'll sort something out.

You might try 1.2.2elf - there was a pretty serious coredumping bug in
1.2.1, which I've now fixed.

> I didn't get dselect to just look at the packages in one dir (anybody care
> to tell me how to do this?), so I don't know if this is related to the
> ftp-method.

Err, dselect isn't meant to do that.  If you just want to install all
the packages in a particular section you can put the others on hold or
whatever in the selection screen.

> Next I tried dselect from dpkg-1.2.0elf, and this seemed to work. I really
> really like the new display and the information it shows. Really great. I
> have 2 suggestions to improve on the interface (which shouldn't be
> difficult).  The first is the ability to 'hide' the bottom half of the
> screen, the 'info-window'. The second suggestion is to be able to skip all
> new packages with just one keystroke.

The first is implemented in 1.2.2 :-).

The second you can do simply by pressing `-' on `Newly available
packages'; this will override the default (which is to select only
ones which are of Standard or higher priority).

> So, I was happy this seemed to work. Then I selected a package for install
> (which btw. didn't change anything on my display.

You should see that it changes the rightmost (emboldened) status
character to a `*', for `I want this installed'.  Perhaps it was
already selected for installation ?

>  It would be nice to be
> able to see which packages I have selected)

The packages you have selected are the ones with a highlighed `*'.
See the display help screen and the expanded status line, or press `v'
to have the chars at the left turned into words (using up lots of
screen).

>  and did 'arrow-down'.

It's supposed to go down one package when you hit + or - or some such
on one.

>   This
> caused dselect to jump out of the selection-screen, back to the main-menu.
> I don't think this is supposed to happen :)

You used `search', didn't you ?  This is a bug in ncurses.

> I hope these remarks can help Ian to improve on these great tools !

Thanks,
Ian.