dselect bugs several versions

Hello,

Tonight I wanted to see how the ftp-method worked, so I got that, together
with dpkg-1.2.1elf.i386.deb (out of Incoming). Got the ftp-method to work
with dselect (though it did give a warning somewhere about use of an
uninitialized value, thought only in combination with dpkg-1.2.1elf and
maybe also dpkg-1.2.0elf, but I don't have either of them anymore, so I
can't tell you precisely where it was). Then did 'Update', and next
'Select'. That's where dpkg-1.2.1elf gave me a segmentation-fault.

I didn't get dselect to just look at the packages in one dir (anybody care
to tell me how to do this?), so I don't know if this is related to the
ftp-method.

Next I tried dselect from dpkg-1.2.0elf, and this seemed to work. I really
really like the new display and the information it shows. Really great. I
have 2 suggestions to improve on the interface (which shouldn't be
difficult).  The first is the ability to 'hide' the bottom half of the
screen, the 'info-window'. The second suggestion is to be able to skip all
new packages with just one keystroke.

So, I was happy this seemed to work. Then I selected a package for install
(which btw. didn't change anything on my display. It would be nice to be
able to see which packages I have selected) and did 'arrow-down'. This
caused dselect to jump out of the selection-screen, back to the main-menu.
I don't think this is supposed to happen :)

I hope these remarks can help Ian to improve on these great tools !

Maarten

| Maarten Boekhold, Faculty of Electrical Engineering TU Delft,   NL  |
|   boekhold@cindy.et.tudelft.nl boekhold@gopher.library.tudelft.nl   |
|                  Take life as a party!                              |