Re: WWW filesystem layout

dhs@firefly.com (David H. Silber)  wrote on 16.05.96 in <[🔎] m0uKAqX-0006UQC@firefly.firefly.com>:

> I think that the reason it makes sense for the anon-ftp area to be placed
> under /home is that people log into it.  I don't think that it follows

I think that the reason it makes sense for the anon-ftp area to be placed
under /home is that ... umm ... well, it doesn't. Not to me, anyway.

Anon-ftp areas are a prime example of something the location of which
should probably be a local decision.

Those things can, on some machines, get a lot larger than everything else
together. Putting them under /home is, well, wrong.

A similar argument holds for http data.

Data that is made accessible to people that are not local users is not
mentioned explicitely in the FSSTND, or at least I didn't find it.
However, there is a prominent example: /var/spool/news. Indeed, every
piece of data that is meant to be shipped somewhere else currently seems
to be located under /var/spool in the FSSTND - news, mail, uucp stuff. And
when there was an inconclusive discussion about caching on the list (the
/var/cache proposal), nobody mentioned any place but /var.

> > The only thing I can think of that /var should be used for is for a
> > caching server, which should keep its cache in /var, perhaps in
> > /var/cache/acme-httpd or whatever.
>
> I just re-read the /var section (5) of the fsstnd.  I don't see where it
> says or even implies this.

/var/cache was discussed, but not decided; however, it seemed
uncontroversial that /var/something was where it belongs - we just
couldn't quite agree on the something.

MfG Kai