Re: How to create the Packages file?

On Sat, 18 May 1996, Nils Rennebarth wrote:

>Could the script to generate the "Packages" file from a bunch of .deb
>files be put on the developers site? Or is it already there, hidden in
>some package in the devel section? I need it to generate Packages files
>for local additions (too specifically tailored for local needs to be
>generally useful).

Something else I'd like to see on the dpkg wish list is a means to
reconstruct a lost or corrupted /var/lib/dpkg/available file.  The
difficulty here seems to be with obtaining replacement info which
is available only in that (now lost) file.  I'm thinking that a
reasonable guess might be made by fetching the current Packages file,
and constructing an available file from info available there and in
the names of the /var/lib/dpkg/info/*.list files found on the system.
A better guess could be made if the .list files also contained version
info on the related binary package (e.g., as an initial header line,
possibly introduced with a '#' char).