Re: dpkg --root=... not really useful?

    I> Yes, of course.  If you say --root it expects to find everything,
    I> including its status area, there.  You can say --instroot and it will
    I> look for the status area in the usual place, but then of course you'll
    I> probably get things horribly out of step.  What did you expect?

I was hoping to be able to use dpkg and the installation scripts to
maintain the root files system for a diskless client from scratch -
just pick the packages I consider relevant.

If I got you right, once I unpack the base distribution, I have a
directory tree which is sufficiently populated to use dpkg --root-...
on it. Obviously, I still have to configure the base system before I
can boot my diskless client - but that is not too difficult, looking
at the scripts in /etc/init.d.

			Thanks,
				Lukas
   Dr. Lukas Nellen                 | Email: lukas@teorica0.ifisicacu.unam.mx
   Depto. de Fisica Teorica, IFUNAM |
   Apdo. Postal 20-364              | Tel.:  +52 5 622 5014 ext. 218
   01000 Mexico D.F., MEXICO        | Fax:   +52 5 622 5015