Re: http daemon suggestion/proposal

> For packages depending on this structure (not so many right now but some
> nice cgi-bin scripts provided via packages might be very usefull: debian
> man/info/??? 2 html documentation daemon) it is required that some fixed
> file structure is provided.

We have to make sure that installed packages won't interfere with a user's
personal config, either.

> Putting cgi-bin etc. in /usr/lib/cern-httpd like cern-httpd does isn't good
> IMO because this might be a readonly if /usr is mounted readonly. Putting
> cgi-bin etc. in /var/web/ isn't what I think /var should be used for, I
> think that the best place (but who am I to say) is a user named www, or
> perhaps a user named apache or a user named cern-httpd.

Personally, I really like the "/var/web/[webspace|cgi-bin|icons]" structure.
Since "www" isn't a real user, I'd prefer it wasn't under /home.

> The package specific files which come with the package should come in
> other directories for example:
>
> /home/apache/cgi-bin
> /home/apache/icons
> /home/apache/http or /home/apache/data
>
> in which /home/apache is a symbolic link to /home/www
>
> /home/cern-httpd/cgi-bin
> /home/cern-httpd/icons
> /home/cern-httpd/http or /home/cern-httpd/data
>
> in which /home/cern-httpd is a symbolic link to /home/www

This I strongly object to.  Packages should not be creating a directory
of their own name under /home, whether they are symlinks or not.

How about "/var/web/apache" and "/var/web/cern-httpd" instead?

                                        Brian
                               ( bcwhite@verisim.com )