Re: Incoming directory status

On Fri, 10 May 1996, Guy Maor wrote:

>On Fri, 10 May 1996, Rob Browning wrote:
>
>> Most people will probably want emacs or xemacs, but not both.
>
>If that's really true, then the solution to the duplicated files is
>simple: let emacs and xemacs conflict.  I was under the impression that
>people wanted both.

I'd guess both situations will exist.

For a standalone system with mostly one single owner/operator/sysadmin/user,
and with connectivity being mainly dial-out and perhaps a small in-home
network, the need will probably be for one or the other.  I've
repeatedly opined that the majority of debian systems will probably
fall into this category.

For something like a university or corporate system, with many
machines networked together and serving a diverse user base with
differing situations, pressures, and requirements, there'll
probably be a need for the sysadmin to offer both, and let
individual users use whichever one fits best.

FWIW, I have both the elvisx11 and elvisnox packages installed on
my standalone, single owner/operator/sysadmin/user home system
with only occasional dial-out connectivity.  I mostly use elvisx11,
and could easily do without elvisnox.  I keep elvisnox around anyhow,
for no good reason, and occasionally do use it.