Re^2: Another shadow question

Hello everybody,

Guy> > On Tue, 7 May 1996, David Frey wrote:
Guy> >
Guy> > >    There are far too many conflicting binaries which are replaced by
Guy> > >    shadow (passwd, login was in miscutils (where is it now?),
Guy> > >            su is in shellutils, chfn, newgrp (in shellutils), ...)
Guy> >
Guy> > Ugh. It'd look like it'd be kinda messy. Wouldn't it be better to simply
Guy> > change all packages to be shadow-aware (i.e. they use shadow if it's
Guy> > there)?
Guy>
Guy> >From my understanding of shadow passwords, it is possible to make
Guy> programs work both with and without shadowing.  I'm the maintainer of
Guy> all the programs mentioned except su.  Perhaps, David, you could put
Guy> the source somewhere so I and the other affected developers could look
Guy> at it?

I fear, that I was unclear. I wasn't speaking of general 'shadow support',
I thought at the 'shadow' package from John. F. Haugh II under the BSD
copyright.
This package provides a new shadow-aware login, su, passwd, et.al plus
some programs to convert to shadow-passwds.

The current upstream-maintainer of the shadow package is
Marek Michalkiewicz, below the LSM (there may be newer versions around):

  Begin3
  Title:	  Shadow Password Suite
  Version:	  3.3.3-951218
  Entered-date:	  18DEC95
  Keywords:	  login passwd security shadow