Re: Another shadow question

Michael Meskes <meskes@informatik.rwth-aachen.de> said:

> That's not so easy. These packages will be replaced by the shadow package.
> It's not they have to be aware of it, but that the shadow package contains
> its own versions of these programs, that are quite different. And a program
> like passwd has to have more (and additional) features for shadow.

Not only that, but it must be arranged that the shadow versions
of these packages won't be re-replaced if, for example, the
miscutils package (which contains /usr/bin/passwd) is upgraded.

I presume that it'd be a Bad Thing (tm) to have shadow versions of
some programs installed, and non-shadow versions of others.