Re: Rules proposal: Guidelines change announcement procedure

On Sat, 4 May 1996 Dirk.Eddelbuettel@qed.econ.queensu.ca wrote:

>  Fernando> E-mail is not enough because new maintainers will have a very
>  Fernando> hard time going through the e-mail archive hunting for messages,
>  Fernando> then sorting them out and trying to merge them adecuately. That
>  Fernando> is the perfect policy for discouraging new developers to join,
>  Fernando> which I think is against what we want.
>
>I disagree.
>
>"procmail" serves me very well to sort throught the email bulk.  New
>proposals usually come to either debian-devel or debina-private, and in these
>folders do I keep them. Easy enough for a quick lookup.
>
>But I agree with your point of a faster Guidelines turnaround. Maybe
>we need a low-traffic list to announce new rules, or changes, to developers?

I disagree with the disagreement.  A maintainer, with or without a
mail archive to rummage through, should be able to determine what
the package maintenance standards, guidelines, and procedures are
by reading a version-numbered document which gives that information.

It shouldn't be necessary to rummage through old email and try to
figure out what's applicable, or to reverse-engineer package admin
tools from source code, in order to make a guess at what needs to
be done and how to do it.