Re: automatic adduser/addgroup in postinst (was Re: fingerd)

>> Maybe what we need instead of /etc/passwd and /etc/group in the
>> base package is a program for use by postinst scripts which
>> automatically creates new accounts and groups if they don't already
>> exist.

I> I think that the functionality of updating the password and group
I> files appropriately should be in adduser.

I've also had a couple of cases where a "removeuser" or "removegroup"
would have been useful, or is that just a bad idea?  Have we had to
remove any system users or groups in the evolution of the debian
packages?

The remove could do the necessary munging of the passwd and groups
files and whatever else was necessary, and then perhaps even collect a
list of the files on the disk that have been orphaned so you can
decide what to do about them.

--
Rob