Question about 'extra' K links in init directories

When I installed dpkg-1.1.6, it offered to remove some superfluous
K links in the init directories (i.e. some daemons get stopped and
then immediately restarted). I have two questions/comments:

1. dpkg installation seems like a weird place to do this :-)
   sysvinit maybe?

2. The guidelines say :

 In Debian GNU/Linux, we try to ship our software in as much of a
 "default" state as possible.  Therefore, unless there is a good reason
 for doing differently, we ask that you start and stop the services in
 each of the multi-user state runlevels (2, 3, 4, and 5).

This seems in conflict with dpkg's offer.

(Also, I guess that should be 'In Debian Linux' now...)

Steve Greenland

--
The Mole - I think, therefore I scream

		       "What about you, you ever
			kill anything?"
						 "No, I think killing animals
						  for sport is wrong."
		       "So you wouldn't kill an
			animal, huh?... Would you
			kill a MOOSE that was
			molesting your WIFE?"
[The Mountain Man]
[One of Dana Carvey's great SNL character]