Re: New perl package

torin@daft.com writes ("New perl package"):
>  perl: Larry Wall's Practical Extracting and Report Language.
>  perl_suid: Runs setuid perl scripts.
>  perl_debug: Allow debugging perl scripts (and perl).

Three things regarding your packaging arrangement.  You're not going
to like the second, I'm afraid ...

Firstly: a few months ago we decided to phase out `_' in package
names.  Many of the schemes being proposed for parseable filenames
rely on not having `_' in package names (we can't change all the
deployed `-'s to `-'s without major grief).  This wasn't documented in
the Guidelines or enforced by dpkg-deb, but it will be RSN (dpkg
1.1.6).  So, could you please change from `_' to `-'.

Secondly: I don't particularly like the way you've split the packages.
(a) We need a `perl binary only' (and perhaps the more essential
library files) package for the base disks.  That has to be marked
Essential &c.  (b) Can't we then make the rest of the installation a
little less granular - have only one or perhaps two other packages ?
(c) You say ...
>         * Added the dosuid define to Configure so that perl would once
>           again create a suidperl.  It was dropped from the upstream
>           release.  There is a question in the postinst that asks if you
>           want it or not.
Does the answer to this question get kept anywhere ?  In any case,
(i) isn't a separate package the right thing here but (ii) can't we
review the code to make sure it's secure - surely that can't be too
hard ?  We just need to make sure that suidperl can't be used if there
are no suid perl scripts.

Thirdly:
>         * Added tcsh as well as c-shell to the dependency list.  I'll
>           remove the tcsh once c-shell is provided by it.
>         * Changed the tcsh dependency to c-shell.
>         * Added dependency on tcsh until the globbing works without
>           calling csh.

Please don't do this !  Configure it to think that csh isn't
available.  You can't make an vital package like Perl depend on an
optional one like csh ...

Ian.