Re: IMPORTANT: Fix for bad permissions on 1.1 boot floppies

In your email to me, Dominik Kubla, you wrote:

> > The only thing that SCO did right on it's products (*my* opinion)
> > was their 'fixperms' system. Each package had a list of files, which
> > also had the owner/group and the file perms with it, so if you
> > totally screwed your perms (maybe from an errant chmod -R, not that
> > *I* ever did that :) ), you should just do (if I remember right)
> > 'fixperm package' and it would run and fix stuff. Maybe something
> > like this could be built, maybe into dpkg/dselect? Or I just may
> > take the time to whip something up in perl...
>
> Just grab fixperms.1.00.tar.gz from
>
>    sunsite.unc.edu:/pub/Linux/system/Admin/

Duh! <smacks heel of hand against forehead> I should have looked
there. I'll take a look at it.

> Then package it for Debian and away we go...  I think you made a very
> good suggestion here, because the permission lists could be used by
> tripewire too (if we could figure out how to feed them to tripwire).

Yeah, but a separate package isn't quite the same as having it
integrated into dpkg...

> Thus there would be no need to have a newly-installed and
> non-connected system to generate a tripwire database, the PGP-signed
> packages could be considered save (if you don't trust them you will
> recompile anything on your own anyway).

Good point. I'll take a look, and report back to the list.

Tim

--
		       sailer@sun10.sep.bnl.gov
        "A desk is a dangerous place from wich to view the world."