Re: IMPORTANT: Fix for bad permissions on 1.1 boot floppies

> The only thing that SCO did right on it's products (*my* opinion)
> was their 'fixperms' system. Each package had a list of files, which
> also had the owner/group and the file perms with it, so if you
> totally screwed your perms (maybe from an errant chmod -R, not that
> *I* ever did that :) ), you should just do (if I remember right)
> 'fixperm package' and it would run and fix stuff. Maybe something
> like this could be built, maybe into dpkg/dselect? Or I just may
> take the time to whip something up in perl...

Just grab fixperms.1.00.tar.gz from

   sunsite.unc.edu:/pub/Linux/system/Admin/

Then package it for Debian and away we go...  I think you made a very
good suggestion here, because the permission lists could be used by
tripewire too (if we could figure out how to feed them to tripwire).

Thus there would be no need to have a newly-installed and
non-connected system to generate a tripwire database, the PGP-signed
packages could be considered save (if you don't trust them you will
recompile anything on your own anyway).

Later,
  Dominik