Installation using 1.1beta floppies

Finally, I got around to giving the set of installation floppies for
Debian 1.1 another try. The set I'm using is dated April, 19. There
were no big problems but a few minor glitches.

The problem loading the 3c503 is gone. Also, the networking setup
works fine.

The syslogd and klogd on the disk set are a.out and fail since there
is no libc.so.4. This gets solved as soon as I install sysklogd from
the base section.

I lost access to loadable modules once and it turned out that by
mistake I had installed the image package from the base section. The
problem here arose since the image package still provides 1.3.64 (and
no modules) whereas the installation floppies provide 1.3.91. This is
easily fixed by correcting the symlinks in /lib/modules/current,
/vmlinuz and running lilo again. It would be helpful to get the
boot/base disks and the kernel/module packages in the base in sync as
fixing this kind of problem is not easy for a beginner (even though
dselect might prevent them from downgrading the kernel image by
accident).

I second the plead to get the possibility to enter more then one
nameserver in the network configuration dialogs - we have two backup
nameservers here and it would be nice the have them available right
away.

		Regards,
			Lukas
   Dr. Lukas Nellen                 | Email: lukas@teorica0.ifisicacu.unam.mx
   Depto. de Fisica Teorica, IFUNAM |
   Apdo. Postal 20-364              | Tel.:  +52 5 622 5014 ext. 218
   01000 Mexico D.F., MEXICO        | Fax:   +52 5 622 5015