Re: pbmplus/netpbm (was: Re^2: Shared graphics libs & header file locations...)

On Wed, 24 Apr 1996, James A. Robinson wrote:

> > I already looked at the sources as I was planning to package it.
> > (Indeed, I've already compiled shared lib versions on my machine.) None
> > of them have restricted copyrights.  Some of them don't explicitly
>
> But wouldn't it not matter what the author's copyright is?  I thought
> that, if it used Unisys's algorithm for compression, it was not
> something we wanted to be caught "selling" by putting it in the normal
> tree?

Right.  I was talking about besides the gif stuff.  I wasn't sure if
the gif stuff was the only reason it was in nonfree.

> > If you would like to package it, that's fine by me.  If not, I'll be
> > happy to do it.  Some points:
>
> It being netpbm?  If you already have it built for shared, I would be
> more then happy to step away. :)

Yes, ok, I'll do it.  I'll break it up into netpbm, netpbm-dev, and
netpbmgif.  Only netpbmgif need go in nonfree.

I'll put the headers in /usr/include.  The only reason to put them in
their own directory was to make code that used libgr easier to
compile.  That's a pretty weak reason, as the user still has to know to
edit the Makefile to link a different library.  So forget it.

Guy