Re: pbmplus/netpbm (was: Re^2: Shared graphics libs & header file locations...)

On Wed, 24 Apr 1996, James A. Robinson wrote:

> > Put the pnmtogif/giftopnm stuff into non-free.
>
> Well, any of the programs that have resticted copyrights.  But in
> terms of the GIF stuff, I think that only the ones that _write_ files
> using the LWZ compression are problematic.  This means at least GIF
> and TIFF...  I'll grep the source to figure things out.

I already looked at the sources as I was planning to package it.
(Indeed, I've already compiled shared lib versions on my machine.) None
of them have restricted copyrights.  Some of them don't explicitly
grant permission to distribute though; I don't know what effect that
has.  I would think only the gif stuff needs to go in nonfree.

If you would like to package it, that's fine by me.  If not, I'll be
happy to do it.  Some points:

1.  Don't include tifftopnm and pnmtotiff; I'll include those in
libtiff.

2. Can we get a decision from on high on whether it's wise to put the
includes for all these graphics packages in /usr/include/gr?  I don't
care either way.  I've already pointed out possible advantages of it.
This would be for lib{pbm,tiff,jpeg,png}.  Then we can do away with
libgr.

3. The tiff package should provide tifftopnm and its converse.  I'll
make the tiff package depend on the netpbm package so I can use the
shared libs.

Guy