Re: make xconfig fails (was Re: libg++27 problem: can't compile ksymoops.cc)

'David Engel wrote:'

>> This is with 1.3.93 which I successfully compiled before upgrading
>                                                    ^^^^^^ (see below)
>> through several revs of libc5, libc5-dev and one rev of make.  I
>> haven't patched the kernel source tree since before the last successful
>> build (and that was to go from .92 to .93 - no custom patches).
>>
>> cjf@syntropy:/redhat/usr/src/linux$ make xconfig
>                ??????

:)  Before I installed Debian I installed RedHat.  When my / got close
to being filed, I decided to put the 10 Megs of kernel source and .o
files on a spare partition.  Sometimes when I want to remember what
the dark ages were like I run "open -sv -- chroot /redhat login" :)
Actually rpm is much faster in the latest rev.  But compared to dpkg
it's much less sophisticated.

>I might know what happened.  Dpkg doesn't always do the right thing
>with symlinks and earlier versions of libc5-dev and libc4-dev could
>unintentionally overwrite files under /usr/src/linux/include.
>
>Please make sure you have the latest versions of libc5[-dev] and
>libc4--dev] installed.  They are 5.2.18-5 and 4.6.27-14, respectively.
>Then re-unpack your kernel source from scratch and try again.

Of course, I must not have been able to think yesterday.  This solved
the problem before and it worked this time too.  If we can only solve
the TCP problems in the alpha kernels now :)

>If this fixes your problem, would you please send a note to
>debian-devel stating so.  It seems I'm still battling the
>misconception that my change to libc breaks kernel compiles.

Something in libc has been breaking kernels.  Should I try to reinstall
libc5[-dev]-5.2.18-5 to see if the current package isn't better?  ...
If it means anything: reinstalling libc5-dev-5.2.18-5.deb didn't break
make xconfig ...

--
Christopher J. Fearnley            |    Linux/Internet Consulting
cjf@netaxs.com                     |    UNIX SIG Leader at PACS