root refused on terminal

I upgraded a few packages (one of them was base) and now I can't login
as root on my virtual terminals (Ctrl-Alt-F[1-6]) as root. Regular user
accounts can do but root can't. What behind this?

Additionally the Artistic license is included by Bruce in the base package,
package which have this license included can remove it and point to
/usr/doc/copyright/Artistic. Packages are dist, mailagent, weblint, perl and
perhaps a few others which I don't remember right now.

Erick