Re: uploaded pine, pico, imapd (copyright problems)

On Tue, 23 Apr 1996, Dale Scheetz wrote:

> > --- from the CPYRIGHT file:
> >
> > We request that any local modifications be denoted by appending the letter
> > \"L\" to the current version number, and that the changes be enumerated in
> > the integral release notes and associated documentation. Re-distribution
> > by for-profit organizations requires permission from the University of
> > Washington.

> I don't see how this changes anything. We are not a for-profit
> organization, and the previous paragraph is the standard freely usable
> release that it has always been.

The main reason I have a problem with this is it prevents companys that
sell debian CD's doing so for a profit, without the permission of the
University of Washington.

Please read the section on copyright in the maintainer's guidelines.  It
goes into quite some detail on this point.  I include here just a small
quote from this section:

" `non-free' is an archive of packages with either restrictive or unclear
terms of copying or modification.  If a package has *any* restrictions on
modification or redistribution, it can not be included in the distribution
or `contrib' archive.  It can only be included in the `non-free' archive,
and then only if it is freely available. "

Please could somebody with authority (Ian?) back me up on this point?

Michael.

PS.  I've heard the FSF, (or somebody else?) is thinking of starting
maintaining their own version of pine because of these problems.