dchanges...dpkg...or me?

I just tried to run dchanges on the various pine packages and got this:

ERROR: Deb filename dosnt match contents: pine-3.93-1.i386.deb
expected pine-3.93-1 .deb

It's not clear what dchanges is doing (I haven't looked yet), but it
looks like something internal to dpkg-deb didn't work right. It's
probably something I did/didn't do, and clearly has to do with the
Architecture stuff. The control file has an architecture field, shouldn't
this be enough?
I can't find any info in the docs about how to impliment Architecture, so
if someone can enlighten me I will be very thankful.

TIA,

Dwarf