libpam [was: Re: Shadow question]

   Date: Sat, 13 Apr 1996 00:17:08 -0400 (EDT)
   From: Christian Hudon <chrish@libertel.montreal.qc.ca>

   On Fri, 12 Apr 1996, Miquel van Smoorenburg wrote:

   > Anybody know the status of the much-talked about libpam? It is a
   > library that supports enduser-adjustable password policy, eg it gives
   > programs one interface to authentication and stuff and you can have
   > all sorts of authentication "dropped in", such as S/key, shadow, etc.
   > Perhaps we should go with that...

current status of libpam:
- still in development, not all the functionality is already there, but there
  is a steady progress
- it is supported by Red Hat, they have one guy working on it.

   It if makes it possible to install both shadow passwords *and* S/key
   painlessly, then I for one would really like having Debian use it.

yes it does.  it would really solve a lot of security problems.

      Christian

   PS Anyone knows of a "libpam for Linux" homepage or something like that?
   I'm curious.

- pam is documented by the OSF RFC 86
  (http://www.pilgrim.umass.edu/pub/osf_dce/RFC/rfc86.0.txt)

Does it make sense to debianise the current version of libpam now, so
that other people can play with it a bit (I am willing to do that)?
The biggest chunk of work however is adapting all the client programs
to use libpam, and that should probably wait till after debian version
1.1.  Supposed that a consensus about this can be reached, of course.

--
Patrick Weemeeuw, network manager
K.U.Leuven, KULeuvenNet, currently at the Dept. of Computer Science