Re: efax directory gid

  Brian> > The latest 'efax' package still has all its directory owned by the
  Brian> "dialout" > group.  Since the "fax" group (21) is now a standard
  Brian> part of the base system, > shouldn't we change this?

  Dirk>  I don't think so --- as the modem device will be owned by "dialout",
  Dirk> I find this quite appropriate as a choice.

  Brian> I understand this (and agree with it), but on my network we have
  Brian> people receiving faxes but they can't get to them because they are
  Brian> not (and should not) be in the "dialout" group.

Then you should modify that _locally_ as it is a special case requirement.
dialout is still a good default choice.

  Brian> As far as I can tell (and I haven't investigated too deeply), efax
  Brian> should still work fine if all the directories are gid "fax".  If the
  Brian> modem device is still owned by "dialout" then people will need to be
  Brian> in the "dialout" group in order to send faxes, but only in the "fax"
  Brian> group to receive them.
  Brian>
  Brian> It might be necessary to have some of the directories be gid
  Brian> "dialout" but at least the "recvq" can be gid "fax".

Don't forget that this introduces admin on the Debian side as well as on your
side. You have to add those folks to the fax group on your box. I think this
really is local admin stuff.

--
Dirk Eddelb"uttel                              http://qed.econ.queensu.ca/~edd