Re: Gzipping man files

>>"Michael" == Michael Shields <shields@crosslink.net> writes:

Michael> At 1996-04-16 08:08, Guy Maor wrote:
>> Anyway, it's decided.  Everybody start gzipping man pages.

Michael> Wait, why is this?  Does any other major Unix do this?  Won't
Michael> this just be another Linuxism?

	Nope.  At least DEC and HP do this as well.

__> uname -a
OSF1 belthil.pilgrim.umass.edu T4.0 345 alpha
__> ls -s /usr/man/man1/man.1.gz
  11 /usr/man/man1/man.1.gz
__>

Michael> Mostly I'm not sure it's a sensible optimization.  All my machines are
Michael> truly multitasking, so spending more CPU time on one thing
Michael> will definitely slow down other things.  And disk space is
Michael> *so* cheap these days that it's not worth it for a directory
Michael> tree that is only a few megs large.

	Are you sure that this will make things slower? Have you
 tested it? care to share the results?

Michael> At worst, I would like this to be user-configurable somehow,
Michael> because I do *not* want gzipped manpages.

	manoj

--
Egotist: A person of low taste, more interested in himself than in me.
-- Ambrose Bierce %%