Re: Gzipping man files

M> Mostly I'm not sure it's a sensible optimization.  All my machines
M> are truly multitasking, so spending more CPU time on one thing will
M> definitely slow down other things.  And disk space is *so* cheap
M> these days that it's not worth it for a directory tree that is only
M> a few megs large.

Well, I tend to agree if, as someone else posted, it would only save
about 6MB.  At current HD prices that's less than $3.00US.  However, I
imagine there might be installations where space is at an absolute
premium. (Who knows maybe we'll be able to run on a palmtop, newtonish
type item some day).

M> At worst, I would like this to be user-configurable somehow,
M> because I do *not* want gzipped manpages.

Sounds like a reasonable solution.  What should the default be?

On a semi-related note, perhaps we could have a tool like debian-opt
which allows the user a front end for global system options.  Then you
could do things like:

debian-opt --manpages=compressed
debian-opt --papersize=US-letter
debian-opt --measurements=metric

and have them apply for all future package installations.  I don't
know if they could reasonably affect things that were already
installed.  I guess some of them could...

With a nice man page, this might be especially nice for new users.

Dumb?
--
Rob