Re: getty?

On Sun, 14 Apr 1996, Michael Meskes wrote:
> Where's getty in the miscutil replecements? I didn't find it anywhere. After
> installing login-1.0-1, debian-utils-1.0-1, bdflush-1.5-1, util-linux-2.5-1
> and passwd-1.0-1 (and removing miscutils) I cannot get my system running in
> init mode 2 without manually installing /sbin/getty. Did I miss a package?

You missed the getty package.  As of this second, it's on master at
/home/Debian/ftp/private/project/Incoming/hard/later/getty-1.0-1.deb,
but Carl may move it to base pretty soon.

You should *not* have removed miscutils by hand.  I took some pain to
make sure that miscutils would cleanly disappear once all its
replacements were installed.  Notice that you also lost MAKEDEV, as
it's now in base.

Other developers - please don't remove miscutils or chfn by hand; let
dpkg do it for you automatically.  Otherwise you could put your system
in an unusable state.

Regarding the getty package: it's still agetty, but now that it's
alone, we can easily move to a better getty.  I think everybody will
like the new miscutils replacements; they add missing functionality and
are split up more sanely.

Guy