Re: Problems with mirror from Unstable Tree

On Sat, 13 Apr 1996 Dirk.Eddelbuettel@qed.econ.queensu.ca wrote:

> It worked with other versions of perl, I must have skipped over 5.001 myself
> because it never broke for me. What was the deal again with these PF_INET
> versus AF_INET changes? When did it happen and why?

According to W. Richard Stevens, Unix Network Programming:

    The AF_ prefix stands for "address family."  There is another set
    of terms that is defined, starting with a PF_ prefix, which stands
    for "protocol family." ... Either term for a given family can be
    used, as they are equivalent.

Most people use AF.  In the Stevens book, for example, all the examples
use AF; the only mention of PF is in this one paragraph.  The linux
kernel, another example, defines PF in terms of AF.  And obviously,
previous to 5.002, the PF family wasn't even defined in perl's
Socket.pm.

Guy