Re: Upgrading R6 testing.

> I had some problems with the boot up stalling if my
> 1.1 partition is in fstab, so I removed it, and the system boots fine.

Is this the same partition that hung during mkfs? Is the partition too large
for the drive or something?

> One question that comes to mind: The kernel for the R6 machine has the
> elf support as a module as well as the a.out support. I realize that the
> kernel will have to be rebuilt with elf built in. I was hoping that I
> could put that off until I could compile the 1.1 kernel.

You might be able to build the kernel under your 0.93 system - the kernel
itself does not have to be ELF. You will need an up-to-date GCC, though.

You can not boot 1.1 without ELF built in, "init" won't run. It
will print a lot of "process died" messages. Make sure to update your
rescue floppies to understand ELF, too.

> Memory says that the 1.2.13 kernel doesn't support built in ELF.
> Is this true?

I don't remember that.

	Bruce
--
Pixar Animation Studios: Reality is not our business.
Pixar's "Toy Story" $184.5M domestic, $66M overseas and counting.