Re^4: Uploads to chiark

Hi everybody,

Rob> M> David Frey writes:
Rob> >> ?? If the claim holds that ncurses and libtermcap are
Rob> >> 1:1-compatible, you could (re)link every application which needs
Rob> >> termcap with ncurses and you wouldn't need libtermcap.so at all...
Rob>
Rob> M> But what if you only get a binary that is linked with libtermcap?

I was aware of that. The question was posed half in jest, half seriously
(hence the two question-marks).

Rob> Like Xinside's Accelerated X server.  I had to poke around on ftp
Rob> sites until I found a precompiled libtermcap I could put into
Rob> /usr/local/lib.  Maybe we should have a libtermcap-compat package.  Of
Rob> course that might encourage people to be sloppy.

PS:  libtermcap compiles cleanly out of the box.
PPS: ncurses is sometimes too large, e.g. for rescue disks (even compressed
     ones :(), as I found out recently. I had to put ash instead of bash
     on it.

Rob> By the way, I noticed that rpncalc is has a libtermcap dependency.
Rob> Shouldn't that package be recompiled?

Yes, I know. I've recompiled it locally, but I'm having a connection problem
to master.debian.org.

David
--
David Frey <david@eos.lugs.ch>|Microsoft isn't the answer...it's the QUESTION.
Schlieren, Switzerland        |``No'' is the answer.