Re: Resetting dpkg/dselect?

ian@chiark.chu.cam.ac.uk (Ian Jackson)  wrote on 03.04.96 in <[🔎] m0u4bP0-0002ZNC@chiark.chu.cam.ac.uk>:

> Buddha Buck writes ("Resetting dpkg/dselect?"):
> > Is there a way to reset what dpkg/dselect things are available?
>
> This is a known problem; I haven't quite decided what the criteria
> should be for forgetting about something, and when I do it will
> probably be nontrivial to implement.  Don't expect progress soon, I'm
> afraid.

Hmm. I would think that it is always _safe_ to "forget" a package when
both

1. no file of that package is currently installed on the system, and
2. the package is not mentioned in the last Packages files used.

It would also - IMHO - not be surprising to "forget" a package under these
circumstances. These are, after all, the exact circumstances where I can
do absolutely nothing with that package.

Also, those rules seem simple enough.

Comments?

MfG Kai