dpkg-1.1.3 and sysvinit-1.59

SysVinit-1.59-2 will not install without dpkg-1.1.1 or higher, so I
installed dpkg-1.1.3 and proceded with the installation that yielded:

(Reading database ... 12735 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace sysvinit (using sysvinit-2.59-2.deb) ...
Saving GMT setting from /etc/init.d/boot ..

Dpkg might ask you if you want the new configuration files in /etc/init.d.
This is generally a good idea, unless you have really changed any of these
files. The GMT setting in /etc/init.d/boot will be saved anyway.

Unpacking replacement sysvinit ...
dpkg: error processing sysvinit-2.59-2.deb (--install):
 trying to overwrite `/usr/bin/mesg', which is also in package bsdutils
 sysvinit-2.59-2.deb

Does this mean I need to reinstall bsdutils or --force-<something> in the
sysvinit installation? What <something> should I force?

TIA,

Dwarf