Re: New dpkg overwrite behaviour undesirable

andrew@toaster.it.com.au (Andrew Howell)  wrote on 31.03.96 in <[🔎] m0u36Ql-0005ljC@toaster.it.com.au>:

> Yeah I know about --force-overwrite :) I wouldn't like to see that behaviour
> as default though. I'd rather get a warning but have the file NOT
> overwritten by default. I mean that's why Ian added this behaviour in the
> first place. So files aren't overwritten.

However, as has already been pointed out, I thing _that_ solution is worse
than the problem.

If a new package wants to overwrite files of an old package, it usually
has a reason to. Simply dropping the new file is almost always wrong.
Simply overwriting (the old behaviour) isn't good, but is certainly better
than dropping.

MfG Kai