Re: New dpkg overwrite behaviour undesirable

Andrew Howell <andrew@toaster.it.com.au> wrote:
> Well the whole point of that behaviour is so files don't get overwritten.
> I agree it would be better if it just warned you about the file and didn't
> overwrite it, but continued on with the rest of the files instead of
> bombing out. But this shouldn't really be a problem once we have discovered
> all the packages that conflict with each other and either got rid of the
> conflicting files or added Replaces field to them.

Please re-read what I wrote.  My whole point was that *even if* we have
fixed all such conflicts, dpkg can still have problems - when upgrading past
the point where it was fixed.  We're supposed to (eventually) be offering
easy and smooth upgrade from 0.96R6 to 1.1 - with dpkg the way it is now,
*every* system with manpages installed will fail with these problems on
upgrade.

				Warwick

Warwick Harvey                                    email: warwick@cs.mu.OZ.AU
Department of Computer Science                        phone: +61-3-9287-9171
University of Melbourne                                 fax: +61-3-9348-1184
Parkville, Victoria, AUSTRALIA 3052     web: http://www.cs.mu.OZ.AU/~warwick