New dpkg overwrite behaviour undesirable

I apologise if this topic has been covered adequately already - if it has I
missed it (I tried looking in the mailing list archives, but they seemed to
be three weeks behind).

I've just been using dpkg-1.1.3's dselect to upgrade to an ELF system.  With
some wrestling, it seems to have been successful (I haven't tried rebooting
yet though ;-).  One of the main problems I had with the upgrade is with
dpkg checking for one package overwriting another's files.  This in itself
is not a problem, it's the way it's treated as an error, not just a
warning.  The problem is that just because you're upgrading to packages
where the problem is fixed, doesn't mean the upgrade's going to work
successfully, as evidenced by my experiences.

To take a concrete example, consider the manpages package.  It used to have
manpages that were also included in other packages (and as far as I can tell
still does - exports.5 seems to be in manpages-1.9-4 as well as
netstd-2.02-1 - I'll file a bug report as soon as I'm sure I've got it
right).  Now, when I was upgrading, I had an old version of manpages
installed.  I did a mass upgrade of all my packages to ELF - but, for
instance, mount was upgraded before manpages, which meant mount broke
because of the conflict.  Dpkg had no way of knowing that such a problem
might exist, and that manpages ought to have been updated before mount was -
and I don't think it should have to know this, or needs to know this.  I
think in such situations, installation really should proceed despite the
conflict - otherwise people are going to continue to be hit over the head by
this for a long time to come.

Comments?

				Warwick

Warwick Harvey                                    email: warwick@cs.mu.OZ.AU
Department of Computer Science                        phone: +61-3-9287-9171
University of Melbourne                                 fax: +61-3-9348-1184
Parkville, Victoria, AUSTRALIA 3052     web: http://www.cs.mu.OZ.AU/~warwick