Re: packages don't fully report dependencies

sgk@sgk.tiac.net (Susan G. Kleinmann)  wrote on 21.03.96 in <[🔎] 199603212208.RAA00412@sgk.tiac.net>:

> The fundamental problem was/is that perl won't install correctly (it
> complains that it "Can't load libdb.so.1").  I just sent a bug report in
> about that.

Hmm ... isn't perl included in the base disks?

This reminds me - I've seen this several times, but I can't tell off the
top of my head if the newest versions still have this problem:

When you install (or even upgrade) perl and source in the same (dselect)
run, perl can be configured while source isn't yet. In that case, perl
complains that you don't have kernel includes, you should run perlconfig
later on, and doesn't even wait for a keypress.

The error message is very confusing (what does it mean, no kernel
includes? I *know* I have those! I went and looked, and yes it's there!),
and letting it scroll away isn't helping either.

I don't know if this is a perl, source, or dpkg problem, and as mentioned
above, I also don't know if it's still there.

MfG Kai