Re: /etc/services

Michael Shields wrote:
> If a local package needs to add a line to /etc/services, what's the best
> way to do it?  Should it just say
>
>     grep -q fooserv || echo "fooserv 666/tcp" >> /etc/services
>
> ?
>
> /etc/services is a conffile of netbase, and from the comments it looks like
> local services are intended to be added at the end, but having one package
> change another's conffiles is apparently not something the dpkg system was
> originally intended to support.

If you need an /etc/services entry just send me your entry and I'll add
it to the next release of the netbase package (as long as it doesn't
conflict with other entries). If you need it just for yourself you can
add it yourself. You'll only notice a small problem with it when the
/etc/services file of the netbase package changes (dpkg will ask you
if you want to use the old or the new /etc/services file).

Peter

--
 Peter Tobias                                EMail:
 Fachhochschule Ostfriesland                 tobias@et-inf.fho-emden.de