Re: lynx, pine, metamail...(mailcap&mime.types) netbase?

On Mon, 18 Mar 1996, Bruce Perens wrote:

> An "external viewer" is used to display some mime type that is not
> display-able by pine/elm/mime* . These are such things as various audio
> and motion-video formats, etc. You generally see these viewers working
> with a WWW browser, but they are just as valid for e-mail.

If you are talking about jpeg, mpeg, avi, fly.... types of viewers, this
is absolutely not the right place for these files.
Mime.types and mailcap are files that are used by several mail agents and
at least one http agent. Choosing the common package on which all of
the others should depend is the goal here. Making them a package that is
most likely to already be installed also serves as a plus.
Two packages that fit this bill are the base package and the netbase package.
Peter has agreed to put them in netbase. If you want them somewhere else
Bruce, the rest of us just need to know what additional depends we should
include when we remove them from our packages.

Thanks for your time,

Dwarf