Re: dpkg --root=/mnt -i image-1.3.64-0.deb

branderh@IAEhv.nl (Erick Branderhorst)  wrote on 18.03.96 in <[🔎] 199603181444.PAA08352@iaehv.IAEhv.nl>:
> This went pretty well untill the postinst script had to be done. It didn't
> work at all. It is full of absolute references to "/" instead of or more
> relative reference to "/mnt" in my case. Is the --root option directory
> passed to the postinst scripts? If so what is it 's name? If so I can
> file an enourmous amount of bugreports because nearly all post pre inst rm
> scripts have to rewriteen.???????????!!!!!!!!!!!

MfG Kai:
> I agree that there should be _some_ method to do installs relative to a
> directory. It shouldn't be very difficult to write install scripts to take
> that into account, but of course they don't do that currently.

I really use this stuff when I build the base archive, and it works
today. The problem Erick had was that he did not have the right stuff
in place for the postinst scripts to run and (I think) for dpkg to
update its data base. You must have a working system under /mnt
complete with shared libraries, etc., because dpkg "chroots" there. The
way I do this in creating the base archive is that I dpkg --unpack all
of the packages first, move a few files in to place mostly so that
shared libraries work, and then dpkg --install the packages a second
time. Take a look at the basedisks.sh script in the boot-floppies
package.

If Erick had extracted the base archives onto this system, it would have
worked better.

	Thanks

	Bruce
--
Pixar's "Toy Story", at greater than $184,200,000 in domestic box office
receipts, is the #1 movie released in 1995!