Re: boot floppies status

>>   Would someone please test the boot floppies?!? They are in
>>   ftp://ftp.pixar.com/pub/bruce/Debian .

Here's the result of my attempt. This is on a zenith Z-Star EX laptop
I just picked up as a temporary for a road trip this week...

1) instead of a spinning bar, I get an advancing line of <5> when loading
the ramdisk.

2) after "A" (Partition a hard disk) the Next item is *still* partition a
hard disk. Possibly this is because I didn't select a swap disk... so:

3) A swap partition should not be required (on a 12M system, swap
shouldn't be required at all :-)

Nonetheless, I could walk through the steps by hand... until I got to
"I" Configure the base system. It complained that I didn't have a swap
partition, and had to go back and do that. Since I'm not going to have
a swap partition (I'll toss in a swapfile when I need it, and most of
the time would rather have the disk space!) I fired up a shell and
took a look at the scripts in /Install. I couldn't see a way to fake
it out, so I ran parts of it by hand. I obviously missed something, as
when I rebooted, I got the "WARNING! you are attempting to boot an
unconfigured base system." message. I couldn't find a way around it,
sigh...

I'll be reinstalling with the 0.93r6 disks - not for any of the above
reasons, but because I can do a pcmcia ethernet install from 0.93r6
(by taking the pseudo-package I made for my last system and sneaking
it in via floppy.) Later on I'll upgrade some system to the exact
kernel that's in the boot kits and do the same trick from there.

Oh yeah, the boot disks are "only" 1.3.73 - linus announced 1.3.75
earlier today :-)

Hope this helps.					_Mark_