Re: ls question

On Fri, 15 Mar 1996 Dirk.Eddelbuettel@qed.econ.queensu.ca wrote:
> A directory listing with colours reveals more information.
> Also, it's a marketing thing and a nice aha effect.

I agree with both of these, but colour ls, as Ian said, is
implemented absolutely horribly. (I'm using a binary and configuration
files copied from my old Slackware installation). A particular
annoyance is the need to specify which terminal types are colorisable
in the configuration file [1] - surely this information should come
from termcap/terminfo ?

A Debian colour ls that did the Right Thing would definitely be a plus
for the system.

Owen
[1] Which, incidentally, is /etc/DIR_COLORS (capitals and underscore? Gak)
--
Caius College, Cambridge CB2 1TA, UK                   <osd1000@cam.ac.uk>
http://myrddin.chu.cam.ac.uk/users/osd1000/ <osd1000@chiark.chu.cam.ac.uk>